Water softening equipment 101: how they work and why you should have one
Nearly 85 percent of American homes suffer the effects of hard water. However, when it comes to hard water, you do have a choice.
Posted in Contaminant, Culligan Nation, Hard Water, Healthy Body, Healthy Home, Water Problems, Water Softener, Water Treatment
Nearly 85 percent of American homes suffer the effects of hard water. However, when it comes to hard water, you do have a choice. Here are five things you should know about buying or renting water softening equipment:
Water softening equipment removes minerals, such as magnesium and calcium, from your water
While magnesium is important -- every cell of every living thing needs magnesium to function - having it in your water can lead to problems, such as:
- Film and stains on glass shower doors, shower walls, bathtubs, sinks, and faucets
- Dry skin and sticky, dull hair.
- Lifeless, itchy clothes.
- Decreased efficiency of your appliances and more frequent breakdowns
- An increase in the amount of soap and detergent needed for cleaning
Culligan softens hard water with a process called ion exchange
The best way to soften hard water is to purchase and install a water softener. These machines work as ion exchange systems to remove dissolved minerals.
Ion exchange occurs when hard water riddled with calcium and magnesium run through a bed of resin beads covered with sodium or potassium ions. The water flows through the beads and makes hard water soft.
Ion exchange softeners need salt to recharge resin beads
Over time, your softener's resin beads will need to regenerate, which means more salt will need to be added to the brine tank.
The Salt 'n Service delivery program from Culligan, makes salt delivery and filling simple. Just call your local Culligan dealership. They'll assess your salt usage so your Culligan Water expert can deliver the salt you need, when you need it.
Water equipment needs regular inspections for optimal results
Your water softener will occasionally need to be inspected for water levels and salt levels, as well as checked for leaks. Good news: with every salt delivery, your Culligan Water expert will do just that, in addition to checking the time setting.
Of course, all remaining salt bags will be stacked neatly, and empty bags will be properly discarded.
A water softener can save you money
Having soft water can save you money on everything from body lotion and laundry detergent to dish soap and appliance repair.
By reducing the hardness of your water, you can:
- Use less soap when bathing, laundering and cleaning, since soft water increases soap lather;
- Reduce sticky soap residue and film on skin, hair, clothes and dishes;
- Significantly decrease scale buildup in plumbing and appliances, ensuring efficient operation and increasing their lifespan;
- Lower energy consumption and cost by improving water flow in your pipes and reducing scale buildup in water heaters;
- Eliminate mineral-derived odors in your home;
- And, generally make household cleaning and maintenance easier and more cost effective.